By: Christine Cox (aka - The Choosy Mommy)
There are many times where I put food on her plate and she won’t touch it. But there are more times that she sees something that her dad is eating and she wants to try it. I will tell you that she has my husband’s pallet in that she prefers salty, spicy and sour over sweet. I love my sweets! So at least she knows who will lead her to the foods that she will love….DADDY!
Which leads me to my discussion about ten unique foods that my toddler eats. Maybe your child has unique tastes too? This is no way means your toddler HASN’T tried these foods, but these are just some things that my husband and I are really surprised that she likes. I’ve noticed that when I say I like something, she does become more open to trying, so maybe give this new Choosy Kids song, Yum Yum Yummy, a listen and sing it when trying something new!
- Green Olives – This one isn’t so weird in that I do know some kids that like olives but she will just eat them as a snack. I HATE olives, no matter the color, but her dad also loves them.
- Banana Peppers – Another snack food that her and her dad share a love for. The smell…uhg, it gets me every time but she loves them!
- Wasabi Peas – Now this one really threw me for a loop. Daddy was eating them one evening and she decided to give one a try. At first I was a bit nervous because I figured, whoa, too spicy, but she ended up eating a handful (not at one time!)
- Oil and Vinegar dressing on Sweet Butter lettuce – Otherwise known as ensalada verde in our family. This is a gem as it is a pretty low calorie dressing. It is a so simple in that you just sprinkle some extra virgin olive oil and white wine vinegar over your lettuce. A little salt to taste.
- Pickled Cauliflower – This was a shocker to myself when my toddler came home from Grandma’s with this new favorite!
- Frozen Waffles – This one might not be so different, but at least we aren’t drenching the waffle in butter and syrup. Just a plain, frozen waffle!
- Soy Sauce – She loves rice and won-ton soup, but give her a dish of soy sauce and she’ll dip anything in it to try!
- Pepperoni – Again, maybe not so different but many toddlers find this to be too spicy.
- Green Onions – She will dip her green onions in salt and eat 3 or 4 of them!!
- Tuna – I just mix a can of tuna with mayo and onion and make a sandwich out of it. She’s loved this for as long as I can remember.
Let me know if your child has tried or even likes any of these foods. Please post if you have a food you think my toddler would love. We are always willing to try new things (well, daddy will have to try it first I suppose).
About the Author: Christine Cox is the blog master and Choosy Mommy for Choosy Kids. She has always had a passion for writing and is honored to contribute her work to this blog. Most of her writing inspiration comes from her daughter, Capri, who is fun-loving and full of energy. Click here to learn more about Christine.